Ashburn, Ice House, Ashburn, Virginia
Located off of Farmwell Road, this indoor facility has two ice rinks, loads of spectator seating and offers an endless list of activities for skaters. Hockey leagues, pick-up games, private and group lessons, open skates and birthday parties are just a few of the items on the Ice House's menu. The facility is always a hub of activity, with year-round hockey leagues and practices, so check the website for activity times. There are professionals to assist with skating purchases in the pro shop. Skate rentals, party rooms, vending machines and lockers are also offered at this facility. Pomodoro's Pizza has an entrance from inside the rink for customer convenience.
Skatequest, Reston, Virginia
Reston SkateQuest, Reston, Virginia - is a twin sheet indoor ice skating center in Reston, with full service pro shop, café, and party rooms. Open year round, SkateQuest has been home to recreational skaters, figure skaters, and hockey players since 1993. Over the years, SkateQuest has become an anchor in the community, providing a safe, healthy, and family oriented environment for the growth and prosperity of our emerging youth and athletes. The SkateQuest Pro Shop offers the latest products from names such as Bauer, Easton, CCM, Reebok, Jackson, Riedell, and Graf, just to name a few. We have a well-trained, friendly and customer oriented staff that consists of both hockey players and figure skaters that can meet any need you may have. With some of the lowest prices in the area, we will also match any competitors advertised regular price so not only will you be provided with the best service, you’ll also be sure you’re getting the best gear at the best price. A full range of repair and maintenance services are also available.
Families are always looking for ways to save money on a summer vacation by sticking closer to home. So why not take a trip to Kings Dominion? With 400 acres of fun, there’s something for everyone in the entire family to enjoy with more than thrill-inducing roller coasters, family rides, a water park, live shows and other attractions. Great discounts on tickets are available in advance online at the park’s website. Kings Dominion's commitment to providing its guests with world-class thrills, fun and family entertainment continues into this decade. The park built one of the top steel roller coasters in the world in 2010, Intimidator 305. This giga coaster by Intamin is themed to the late NASCAR driver Dale Ernhardt and represents the largest capital investment to date in the park's history. A new light show, Snoopy's Starlight Spectacular, was added in 2011. In 2012, two attractions debut with WindSeeker, a 301-foot-tall tower swing ride, and Dinosaurs Alive!, an animatronic dinosaur park that features nearly 40 life-sized, roaring, moving dinosaurs.
Luray Caverns, that was originally called Luray Cave, is a large, celebrated commercial cave just west of Luray, Virginia, USA, which has drawn many visitors since its discovery in 1878. The underground cavern system is generously adorned with speleothems (columns, mud flows, stalactites, stalagmites, flowstone, mirrored pools, etc.). The caverns are perhaps best known for the Great Stalacpipe Organ, a lithophone made from solenoid fired strikers that tap stalactites of various sizes to produce tones similar to those of xylophones, tuning forks, or bells
The Caverns are situated in the Shenandoah Valley just to the east of the Allegheny Range of the Appalachian Mountains in Luray, Virginia. The Valley extends from the Blue Ridge in the north to the south end of Massanutten Mountain. Cave Hill, 927 feet (283 m) above sea level, had long been an object of local interest on account of its pits and oval hollows or sinkholes (known as karst) through one of which the discoverers of Luray Caverns entered.
Luray Caverns does not date beyond the Tertiary period, though carved from the Silurian limestone. At some period, niches and already formed chambers were completely filled with water, highly charged with acid, which then slowly began to eat away at much of the softer material composing much of the walls, ceilings and floors. The one particular area that shows this high level of water is Elfin Ramble where water marks of oscillation are highly visible on the ceiling.
The temperature inside the caverns is uniformly 54 °F (12 °C), comparable to that of Mammoth Cave in Kentucky.
The Mad Fox Brewing Company is located at 444 West Broad Street in Falls Church, VA 22046 and the phone number is 703.942.6840.
Manassas National Battlefield Park, located north of Manassas, in Prince William County, Virginia, preserves the site of two major American Civil War battles: the First Battle of Bull Run on July 21, 1861, and the Second Battle of Bull Run which was fought between August 28 and August 30, 1862 (also known as the First Battle of Manassas and the Second Battle of Manassas, respectively). The peaceful Virginia countryside bore witness to clashes between the armies of the North (Union) and the South (Confederacy), and it was there that Confederate General Thomas J. Jackson acquired his nickname "Stonewall."
Today the National Battlefield Park provides the opportunity for visitors to explore the historic terrain where men fought and died more than a century ago. More than 900,000 people visit the battlefield each year. (In comparison, roughly 15 million people annually visit nearby Washington, DC.) As a historic area under the National Park Service, the park was administratively listed on the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966.
The Henry Hill Visitor Center, on Sudley Road by the south entrance to the park, offers exhibits and interpretation regarding the First Battle of Bull Run, including civil war era uniforms, weapons, field gear and an electronic battle map. The center offers the orientation film "Manassas: End of Innocence", as well as a bookstore
The Marine Corps War Memorial (also called the Iwo Jima Memorial) is a United States military monument outside the walls of Arlington National Cemetery and in Arlington Ridge Park, Arlington, Virginia. The memorial is dedicated to all personnel of the United States Marine Corps who have died in the defense of the United States since 1775.
The memorial represents this nation's gratitude to Marines and those who have fought beside them. While the statue depicts one of the most famous incidents of World War II.
"In honor and in memory of the men of the United States Marine Corps who have given their lives to their country since November 10, 1775."
The National Museum of the Marine Corps is the historical museum of the United States Marine Corps. Located in Triangle, Virginia near MCB Quantico, the museum opened on November 10, 2006, and is now the top tourist attraction in the state, drawing over 500,000 people annually.
The museum replaces both the Marine Corps Historical Center in the Washington Navy Yard, which closed on July 1, 2005, and the Marine Corps Air-Ground Museum in Quantico, Virginia, which closed on November 15, 2002.
A public-private venture, the museum is a cooperative effort between the United States Marine Corps and the Marine Corps Heritage Foundation. The Foundation manages the museum operation, while the museum building will be donated to the Marine Corps.
Designed by Curtis W. Fentress of Fentress Architects, the museum's exterior is meant to "evoke the image of the flag raisers of Iwo Jima," an image that is also preserved by the Marine Corps War Memorial.
The museum is 100,000-square-foot, and is open to the public with free admission.